Friday 4 October 2013

The Other Side Of Truth (Beverley Naidoo)

I started reading "The Other Side Of Truth" with high expectations of the book, seeing as it had the honour of being awarded the Carnegie Medal. However, I was soon disappointed. The book had a slow start that, for me personally, tried too hard to be exciting and it subsequently came across as boring and tedious. I was then told by my teacher that the book would improve greatly as it went on and that it was "just a complicated book". However, this was not the case. For me, the book lost even more excitement (if that was even possible) as the story went on. The children named people as they saw them and with names such as "Mr Seven O'clock"; it gave the overall impression of, not only annoyance, but also immaturity as a whole. I am not the only person, of the "target" age group for the book, that shared the same view as me; four other 13 year-olds saw the book as being (as afore-mentioned) boring and tedious. This book was possibly the worst book that I have read to date and, consequent to the many awards that it has received, I can only presume that the people who read it must have either lacked a sense of what the word "nail-biting" means or have read no other books to compare it against.

Rating: 1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment